Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Reality TV Corner! : Jersey & Music Edition

In the Reality TV world, two entertaining topics are the basis for shows in this genre: Music and New Jersey. Both are big players in the ratings game for their respective networks. 
In terms of Music, it's a common thread in the world of Reality. From Music stars, background music to set the tone, to the brains behind the music, music impacts the show whether the main star does music or eventually gets into the world of music. 



Stars from the music industry that have (or had) their own reality shows include Gene Simmons, R&B stars Keyshia Cole and Monica, Former Moesha star Brandy and her brother Ray J (who also had his entertaining, yet sleazy reality dating show called For the Love of Ray J), Bret Michaels (who also had 3 seasons of a dating show), Mel B formerly of the Spice Girls, and now, Aubrey O'Day, from Diddy's Making the Band and his first girl group, the short lived Danity Kane, who's show, All About Aubrey premiered March 7th on the Oxygen Network, and it's premiere was the highest rated docu-series premiere in network history among all key demographics



And, as always, a Kardashian has put them-self in the story. Kim Kardashian recently released a single on iTunes, called Jam (Turn it Up) or as I like to call it Turn it Down, and profiled the making of the single on the E! show she and her sister Kourtney are on, Kourtney and Kim Take New York.




Jersey is also a ratings juggernaut in the Reality TV world, and has shown that people love the way we say things, such as "coffee" and "talk" or phonetically speaking, "tawk" and "cawfee."  Shows like Jersey Shore, which only one person is actually a true Jerseyan (the much criticized Sammi Sweetheart), Jerseylicious, The Real Housewives of New Jersey, Jersey Couture, and the Style Network special The Glam Fairy, a spin off effort from Jerseylicious, who's season finale was one of Style's highest rated episodes ever. 




Jersey shows are coincidentally (or not) my favorite, because I see a lot of places I've been, places that are around me, or I see people I know and I feel somewhat connected to the show (one of my friends was offered to be on Jerseylicious and went to beauty school with the show's pivotal characters, while another was actually on the show as a model). Music star reality shows are also one of my favorite micro-genres because it does show a life I would want to live, but I don't feel as connected to them, so if I had to choose one of these two micro-genres of the macro-genre of Reality TV, I would choose Jersey of course! 



No comments:

Post a Comment