Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Random Movie Post: Are Horror Movies losing their appeal?


This weekend I saw Scream 4 and I was actually impressed. It was very much like the first Scream and it's apparent that Scream writer Kevin Williamson was the main reason. But, it didn't do as well as many hoped, especially the people who want a new Scream trilogy (like me!), only gaining a little under $20 Million in the Box  Office.

I love Horror movies, and the Scream trilogy is very high on top of my favorite Horror movies. But, is the appeal  starting to fade?

For a while, it was always known that if any movie was released the same weekend as a Horror movie, the Horror movie would end up on top of the Box Office chart. But, in 2011, the most popular movies have been Children's movies. Rio earned close to $40 Million this weekend, and other movies, like Hop or Diary of a Wimpy Kid 2 : Rodrick Rules, both kid movies, have been the #1 movies previous weekends. But, another factor (which I saw myself at Scream 4) is young kids sneaking into R-rated movies after buying a ticket for something like Rio, which affects the system.


SO, what does someone have to do to get their movie to be #1 at the Box Office over a Kid movie? For now, only a Blockbuster like Pirates of the Caribbean 4 or Fast and the Furious 5 are our only hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment